I have mentioned before that my mom was always baking when I was younger. There was always a cookie jar or freezer full of yummy treats. As a result of this I didn’t have many processed snacks (thanks mom 🙂 ). One afternoon when I was a little girl, I returned from a friend’s house and I could not wait to tell my mom about the wonderful cookie I had tasted at my friend’s. I explained “it was two black crunchy cookies with white frosting in the middle!” I went on to ask her if she could get the recipe for “those black and white cookies” from my friend’s mom. My mom laughed and then I learned that you could buy these cookies at the store already made. I loved my first Oreo and even now if I happen to spot a box of them laying around somewhere, I can’t resist having just one. So naturally when I came across this recipe for “Oreo cupcakes” I was intrigued and had to give them a try! There is a cookie surprise at the bottom of the cupcake and the cookies and cream frosting seals this sweet deal. Enjoy these “black and white” cupcakes sweet teeth!
Cupcakes (Recipe from Cooks Illustrated courtesy of Bakergirl)
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 3/4 cup hot, brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 Tbsp oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 package Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Twist Oreos in half and set aside the extra cookies for later. Place the side with cream filling in the bottom of each cupcake liner, cream-side facing up.
- Place chocolate and cocoa in a medium bowl
- and pour the hot coffee over the mixture. Whisk until smooth and transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake until cupcakes are set and firm to the touch, 17-20 minutes. Allow to cool in pans 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Frosting (Recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 cup Oreos, pulverized to fine powder
- Blend cream cheese and butter
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
- Add vanilla and cream
- Add crushed Oreos
- Frost and garnish with additional Oreos
Recipe linked here